IMPORTANT NEWS: CONSTRUCTION RELATED CLOSURES TO LOWER CHURCH
BEGINNING JULY 21, 2014
The Shrine Church (lower church) will be closed for construction beginning on Monday, July 21st. We expect this closure to last approximately three weeks. During this period of closure:
- All Masses and Confessions will be celebrated at their usual times in the Upper Church.
- The Upper Church will be open for a half hour before each Mass and closed after Masses are over.
- Pilgrims, visitors, and parishioners can access the tomb for organized visits Tuesdays-Saturdays at 11:30 am, 1:30 pm and 4:30 pm. Please gather outside the gift shop to participate in these visits.
- During business hours the gate between the school and the convent will be open to allow people access from the parking lots to 5th Street, where they can enter the upper church.
- The gift shop and parish/shrine offices will maintain their usual hours.
- The gift shop and offices, as well as our restrooms, will only be accessible through the Girard Avenue entrance to the rectory. This entrance is not handicapped accessible.
Welcome to the National Shrine of St. John Neumann
Alfred Bradley, C.Ss.R.
The Redemptorists and Shrine Staff are delighted that you've found us here on the web. We hope that our site will familiarize you with our ministry at the Shrine and with the wonderful Saint who inspires our work each day. St. John Neumann was a tireless preacher of the gospel to the most abandoned, especially the poor. At his Shrine we strive to imitate his example, welcoming all who come to visit his tomb and offering pilgrims space for prayer, worship, reconciliation, and renewal. Please explore our site and discover the rich heritage of grace offered to the Church and the world through Philadelphia's "Little Bishop," St. John Neumann, C.Ss.R.
--Very Rev. Alfred Bradley, C.Ss.R., Shrine Director
Parish Missions & 40 Hours
Matthew Allman, C.Ss.R.
The Redemptorists regularly engage in preaching parish missions, retreats, and the 40 Hours Devotion. If you would like to schedule a Redemptorist to preach in your parish, please have your pastor contact Rev. John Murray, C.Ss.R. (firstname.lastname@example.org), the director of Parish Mission Preaching for the Baltimore Province of the Redemptorists.